SP and BSP fought the 2019 elections together.Image Credit source: File Photo
before the Lok Sabha elections in the country NDA He is trying to strengthen his camp. On the other hand, the Chief Minister of Bihar Nitish Kumar Preparing the roadmap of the United Opposition Front against the BJP. Nitish Kumar is trying to stop the NDA from getting a majority by bringing more and more parties on a single platform. B J P It is in this effort that the NDA should be strengthened so much that even if the opposition camp is ready, it cannot affect the alliance. At present, the meeting of opposition parties is proposed in Patna on 23rd June. Only after this it will be clear that what color the efforts of Nitish Kumar bring.
It is common to have alliances during the election season. In the longing for power, parties join hands with each other, but there is no guarantee for how long this alliance will last. It is not necessary that the alliance will ensure victory. If we see after 2014, out of all the elections held in the country, except for one or two alliances, most of them have failed. Every time this alliance has proved to be just in name, even if some alliances were successful, they could not last for long and the parties kept on drifting away from each other.
Major alliances and their fate
- 2015: In 2015, Janata Dal United formed a grand alliance with RJD, Congress and other smaller parties. Nitish had envisioned this alliance after leaving the NDA in 2013. The Grand Alliance government was formed in Bihar. Nitish Kumar also became the CM, but only after 2 years, Nitish Kumar resigned on charges of corruption and immediately formed the government with the BJP. In 2020, both the parties contested elections together and in 2022, JDU again left and formed the government with RJD.
- 2015: Jammu and Kashmir PDP and BJP formed the government in alliance. Mufti Mohammad Sayeed became the CM. He passed away in 2016. After this, Mehbooba Mufti became the CM, after the completion of two and a half year term, when it came to handing over the reins of the state to the BJP’s CM, the alliance broke down.
- 2017: Samajwadi Party and Congress announced an alliance during the assembly elections in Uttar Pradesh. It was believed that together both the parties would be able to stop the BJP, but the results spoiled all the calculations. This alliance was broken after the elections.
- 2019: Such an alliance took place in the politics of Uttar Pradesh, which hardly anyone could have imagined, this alliance was between the Samajwadi Party and the Bahujan Samaj Party. Both the parties contested the Lok Sabha elections together. However, after the elections, both the parties broke the alliance after the results did not come as expected.
- 2018: In Karnataka in 2018, in the event of a hung assembly, Congress and JDS formed the government on one platform. Later Congress and JDS MLAs resigned in Operation Lotus. When the government went, the alliance between the two parties also broke.
- 2019: This was the year when Shiv Sena returned to NDA for many years, in fact till 2018, Uddhav Thackeray kept talking about not compromising with BJP, but just before the Lok Sabha elections, an agreement was reached between the two parties. After this, both the parties fought the assembly elections together, but here the Shiv Sena stood firm for the post of CM as the BJP was away from majority. The alliance between such two parties came to an end.
- 2019: When Shiv Sena’s alliance with BJP broke, a new alliance was formed, which was named Mahavikas Aghadi. Shiv Sena formed the government with the help of Congress and NCP. Later Eknath Shinde broke the party. With this, this alliance also came to an end.
- In 2018, Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray even said that he would never forge an alliance with the BJP. But in February 2019, just before the Lok Sabha elections, an alliance was formed between the two parties with the promise of equal seat distribution and equal power. Both the parties contested the 2019 Lok Sabha elections together.
- 2020: With the formation of NDA, Shiromani Akali Dal was an important partner of BJP. Both the parties fought many elections together, but during the peasant movement, the Akali Dal broke ties with the BJP.
- 2020: LJP, which was with the NDA for a long time, left the BJP in 2020. After the death of Ram Vilas Paswan, Chirag announced to break away from the NDA and contest the elections. Later, Chirag’s uncle Pashupati broke the party and formed a new unit and formed an alliance with the BJP.
: Language Inputs