Sunil Narine took 4 wickets in an innings against RCB for the third time. (Photo: IPL/BCCI)
IPL 2021 season has reached one step closer to its last destination. Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) defeated Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) by 4 wickets in the second playoff match of the season on Monday, 11 October. With the victory in this Eliminator match, Kolkata made their place in the second qualifier, where they will face Delhi Capitals. Although there was not much fanfare in this small-scoring match in Sharjah, but still some players recorded special achievements, in which KKR’s spin-all-rounder Sunil Narine topped. This legendary spinner first spoiled the work of RCB with his bowling and then destroyed the hope of victory in batting as well.
In this match between Bangalore and Kolkata, who were ranked third and fourth in the league stage, the bowlers were buoyed. Batting first, Bangalore scored just 137 runs with the help of 39 runs from Virat Kohli. Sunil Narine took 4 wickets in 4 overs. Then Kolkata also faced difficulties in reaching this target and this time also Sunil Narine’s amazing team came in handy, who scored 26 runs in 15 balls hitting 3 sixes. On the fourth ball of the 20th over, Kolkata finally ended all the hopes of RCB by achieving this target.
RCB vs KKR match details
Apart from Sunil Narine, RCB captain Virat Kohli and Mohammad Siraj also achieved some personal achievements in this match.
- After captaining RCB in 140 matches, Virat Kohli’s captaincy journey in IPL ended without a trophy. He became the player to captain the most matches without winning the title. Under Kohli’s captaincy, Bangalore won 66 matches and lost 70. He is followed by Virender Sehwag at number two, who captained in 53 matches without winning the title.
- Virat Kohli scored 39 runs in this match and during this he hit 5 fours. With these 5 fours, he became only the second Indian batsman to hit 900 fours in T20 cricket. Only Shikhar Dhawan is ahead of him, who has 986 fours.
- Kohli’s season ended with 405 runs. He scored these runs in 15 innings at a strike rate of just 119 and an average of 28. However, he completed 400 runs in a season in IPL for the 8th time and equaled Shikhar Dhawan. Suresh Raina has done this amazing 9 times more than him.
- Sunil Narine took 4 wickets in this innings. In this way, he became the bowler to take 4 wickets for the most times in an innings in IPL. He left behind Lasith Malinga (8).
- Not only this, this was the third time when Narine took 4 wickets in an innings against RCB. He also became the first bowler to do this feat thrice against the same team in IPL. Earlier in 2014, Naren had done this charisma twice against RCB.
- The successful season of RCB’s medium pacer Harshal Patel also came to an end and he also took important wickets in the last match. Harshal finished the season with 32 wickets taking two wickets and equaled Dwayne Bravo’s IPL record. Harshal had a chance to break Bravo’s record, but Devdutt Padikkal dropped the catch.
- At the same time, pacer Mohammad Siraj of RCB achieved two achievements by taking 2 wickets in his last over of this season. With the wicket of Sunil Narine, Siraj completed his 100 wickets in T20 career, while taking the wicket of Dinesh Karthik in the same over, completed 50 wickets in IPL.
Also read: IPL 2021 Purple Cap: Difficult to remove Harshal Patel from the chair, RCB bowler is not getting competition