Earlier, Maharashtra Minister Aslam Shaikh said that Rs 5 lakh would be given as compensation to the families of the deceased in the building collapse incident.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi. (file photo)
Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed grief to the people who lost their lives in the building collapse in Mumbai’s Malad West and announced financial assistance of Rs 2 lakh to the families of the deceased. So far 11 people have died and 7 people are injured in this accident that happened late Wednesday night. Eight children are among the dead. The BMC official said that the accident took place at around 11.15 pm on Wednesday night at New Collector Compound of Abdul Hameed Road in Malvani area.
The Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) wrote PM Modi’s statement on Twitter, “In this hour of grief, my thoughts are with the families of the victims. I wish the injured people a speedy recovery. A compensation amount of Rs 2 lakh will be given to the families of the deceased from the Prime Minister’s National Disaster Relief Fund. Also, Rs 50,000 will be given to the injured people.
Maharashtra minister Aslam Shaikh said that Rs 5 lakh would be given as compensation to the families of the deceased in the building collapse incident. Mumbai’s Additional Police Commissioner Dilip Sawant said that 18 people have been rescued since Wednesday night. Police will investigate the incident and legal action will be taken against the accused.
PM arenarendramodi announced an ex-gratia of Rs. 2 lakh each from the PMNRF for the next of kin of those who have lost their lives due to a structure collapse in Malad West, Mumbai. Rs. 50,000 would be provided to those injured.
— PMO India (@PMOIndia) June 10, 2021
According to news agency PTI, the police told that the building was constructed illegally and now the contractor is being questioned. Acting Ward Officer of P-North Ward of the city, Santosh Dhonde said that the second and third floors of the three-storey building fell on a nearby one-storey house.
Some more people feared trapped in the debris – Officials
A BMC official said that personnel of the fire department and other agencies immediately reached the spot and started rescue and search operation. He told that 8 children and 3 adults have died in the accident. 7 others have been injured and one of them is in critical condition. The injured were rescued from the rubble and admitted to a nearby hospital.
The deceased have been identified as Sahil Sarfaraz Syed (9), Arifa Shaikh (9), Shafiq Mohammad Salim Siddiqui (45), Tauseef Shafiq Siddiqui (15), Alisha Shafiq Siddiqui (10), Alfisa Shafiq Siddiqui (one and a half years), Afina Shafiq Siddiqui (6), Ishrat Bano Shafiq Siddiqui (40), Rahisa Banu Rafique Siddiqui (40), Tahees Shafiq Siddiqui (12) and John Eranna (13).
According to municipal and fire department officials, some more people may also be trapped under the debris and the search is on for them. According to the BMC, the collapsed building was located on the collector’s land and its owner had got permission from the collector’s office during the construction of the permanent structure.
Case registered against the contractor and owner of the building
On the other hand, Joint Commissioner of Police (Law and Order) Vishwas Nangre Patil told reporters that the building was constructed illegally and there were serious flaws in its structure. Patil said that the building had suffered a lot due to cyclonic storm Toute last month. Had proper precautionary measures been taken, this incident which happened on Wednesday could have been avoided.
The police officer said, “We have registered a case under section 304 of the IPC and will take appropriate action.” The officer said that a case is also being registered against the contractor and owner of the building. The contractor has been taken into custody for questioning.
Also read- Two lioness corona positive in Tamil Nadu zoo, both isolated: IVRI
Also read- In the midst of Corona crisis, the people here felt a jolt, electricity became so expensive