If you have paid more tax than your tax liability, then you will get income tax refund after filing Income Tax Return (ITR) for that year.
Income Tax Refund: If you have paid more tax than your tax liability, then you will get income tax refund after filing Income Tax Return (ITR) for that year. However, you will get this only after the tax department processes your ITR. and sends you a notice to inform about it. This notice is sent to you under section 143(1) of the Income Tax Act, 1961.
The last date to file this year’s return is 31 December 2021. The income tax refund is processed by the State Bank of India (SBI) and it is sent directly to the bank account nominated by the taxpayer. The taxpayer nominates the account at the time of filing the tax return. Hence, it is important that you ensure that you have mentioned the correct bank account number and IFS code.
Apart from this, the bank account should be pre-validated on the new income tax e-filing portal of the government and PAN should be linked with the bank account.
How to Check Income Tax Refund Status
You can check income tax refund status here:
- new income tax portal or
- NSDL website.
How to check on new income tax portal
- First of all go to the Income Tax website www.incometax.gov.in and login to the account by entering your PAN as User ID and Password.
- After logging in, click on the e-file option. Under the e-file option, select Income Tax Returns and then click on View filed returns option.
- After this, check the latest ITR filed by you. Select the View Details option. Once selected, you will see the status of the ITR filed. In this, you will also see the date of issuance of tax refund, amount refunded and the date of clearance of any refund outstanding for this year.
TIN on NSDL website
Another way to track income tax refund is to check its status on the NSDL website. It should be noted that on the website, the taxpayer can check the refund status only after 10 days of the refund sent by the Assessing Officer to the Refund Banker.
- For this, first you have to go to https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/oltas/refundstatuslogin.html.
- Enter your PAN details in it.
- Select the assessment year for which you want to check the refund status. The assessment year for the financial year 2020-21 will be 2021-22.
- Enter the captcha code and click on submit. Based on the status of your refund, a message will appear on your screen.
What to do if refund is not received?
If your bank account hasn’t received a refund, you can:
- Write a letter and send it to: State Bank Of India, Survey No. 21, Opp. Hyderabad Central University, Main Gate, Gachibowli, Hyderabad- 50001.
- You can also send an email to [email protected]
- Apart from this, the person can also call the SBI call center on the number 18004259760.