Everything you need to know about onion cultivation.
Onion is a crop that people eat both as a vegetable and as a spice. Although it is cultivated twice a year in most parts of the country, but it is one of the major crops of Rabi season. The trend of farmers towards its cultivation has also increased rapidly. The area under onion is increasing every year.
If you are a farmer and doing onion cultivation for the first time, then this news can be useful for you. In this news, we are giving you information from onion nursery to transplanting of seedlings.
- Sow the seeds of improved and recommended varieties of onion in 3 m long and 1 m wide, 15 cm high beds.
- Nursery seedlings grown in an area of 500 square meters are sufficient to grow the crop in one hectare area.
- Before sowing the seeds in the beds, treat with a fungicide called Captan or Thyram at the rate of 2 grams per kg seed or Trichoderma viridi at the rate of 5 grams per kg seed.
- The treated seeds are left in rows 1 to 2 cm deep at an interval of 5 cm.
- After this, cover the seeds with a light layer of compost or soil and water it with a sieve and cover the beds with grass or any other vegetation cover.
- When the seed germinates well, remove the weeds from the beds.
- Before this, if irrigation is required in the nursery, after irrigating by removing the dry grass, cover the beds again with dry grass.
- After germination, to avoid root rot disease, spray 2 grams of Captan or Thyram drug in one liter of water and spray it.
- After about 6-7 weeks of sowing in Kharif and after 8-9 weeks in Rabi, the seedlings are ready for planting in the field.
- When the seedlings are about 15 cm in height, then they are suitable for transplanting in the field.
- Before transplanting, immerse the roots of the plant in the solution prepared in 1 liter of water containing 2 grams of Bavistin drug for 15-20 minutes, then transplant it so that the crop can be protected from purple spot disease.
- While transplanting, keep the distance between rows 15 cm and plant to plant distance of 10 cm.
Things to keep in mind while printing
- The beds should be irrigated 2-3 hours before the seedlings are uprooted so that the seedlings can be uprooted easily.
- The leaves of the plant should be cut up to a quarter from the top before transplanting, by doing this the plant gets planted in the ground quickly.
- Planting should be done at the right time (6-7 weeks in Kharif and after 8-8 weeks in Rabi).
- Transplanting young or old saplings in the field gives less production per unit area and adversely affects the quality and storage capacity of the onion produced.
- As far as possible, transplanting should be done in the evening.
Also read: This farmer of Madhya Pradesh earns Rs 32 lakh annually by selling guava, the weight of a guava is more than one kg
Also read: How big is the vegetable market in India, how is the export done, know all the things related to it